Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec 9849's

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Altec 9849's

    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

    I like that the seller brought these speakers "back from the dead" but they are considerably overpriced IMHO. Not crazy about the fact that they have home made crossovers, but I'd love to hear them regardless since from the seller's description -- he does have at least some understanding of Altecs/speakers in general--I'm just not sure I trust his "math"!
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 9849's

    Seller says from his "impedience" measurements most of the drivers were over 20 ohms--does that sound right? The crossovers look like something MacGyver (MacGruber) had two minutes to disarm before "boom"! Is it Old Guy who said something like "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 9849's

    These have been for sale for several months.

    Curiously, i've either missed it in his current listing, or he's chosen not to mention that these were a project for/with his son.

    I want to agree that they're overpriced, but sometimes i'm forced to get outside the box and wonder if many of us aren't "undervaluing" our Altecs. One of those times was just about an hour ago when i was petting a gorgeous pair of Patricians getting ready to sail to the orient.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 9849's


    Geekstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 9849's

    Crossover looks good to me! Those Russian KBG caps sound excellent.

    Some of the best xovers I made look like they have been beat with the ugly stick.

    In fact, I am building about the same crossover...the 15 ohm 1200-1250 hz butterworth crossover works out to a commonly available KBG cap value (6 uF) + 3mH coils.

    I would have skipped the plastic push terminal connectors though.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 9849's

    Quote Originally Posted by Geekstar View Post
    Crossover looks good to me! Those Russian KBG caps sound excellent.

    Some of the best xovers I made look like they have been beat with the ugly stick.

    In fact, I am building about the same crossover...the 15 ohm 1200-1250 hz butterworth crossover works out to a commonly available KBG cap value (6 uF) + 3mH coils.

    I would have skipped the plastic push terminal connectors though.
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't hold their looks against them. Just not crazy about home-brew crossovers unless I know that the person who designed them REALLY knew what they were doing or built them from a manufacturer's (like Altec) schematics..... Not sure about his "impedience" measurements either -- he says that the drivers are over 20 ohms each. He would need more than a "Ralph Rocks" t-shirt to prove his crossover designing skills to me. (t-shirt is visible in this pic from one of his other auctions on Ebay)

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MAHOGANY-L...item337428f9bf
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 9849's

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    These have been for sale for several months.

    Curiously, i've either missed it in his current listing, or he's chosen not to mention that these were a project for/with his son.

    I want to agree that they're overpriced, but sometimes i'm forced to get outside the box and wonder if many of us aren't "undervaluing" our Altecs. One of those times was just about an hour ago when i was petting a gorgeous pair of Patricians getting ready to sail to the orient.
    Good point--as vintage Altec prices seem to be rising in general it's good to remember that just because something isn't particularly a bargain, doesn't mean it's necessarily a "rip off" either. There's plenty of middle ground. I always look at prices (for anything, not just Altecs) in terms of what I would pay for something--and yes, I'm always looking for a bargain. Not to mention that if you factor in overseas buyers for Altecs, the whole price structure really shifts.
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.